Head Of GIADEC Visits Site Of Bauxite Miner Riots In SW Ghana

Head Of GIADEC Visits Site Of Bauxite Miner Riots In SW Ghana

The head of Ghana’s aluminium promotion and development body traveled to a mine in the country’s southwest last week to ensure that the recent labor unpleasantness has been put behind it.

Michael Ansah, Chief Executive Officer of Ghana Integrated Aluminium Development Corporation (GIADEC), traveled to Ghana Bauxite Company Ltd.’s (GBC) mine in Awaso at the head of a delegation that included GIADEC board members, the Deputy Minister at the Ministry of Lands and Natural Resources, the MCE of the Bibiani-AnhwiasoBekwai Municipal Authority (BABMA), and representatives from the SefwiBekwai Police Command.

Upon arrival at the mine the delegation was greeted by mine management, including the mine’s general manager, deputy general manager, mine manager, and the local representative of Bosai Minerals Group, who led the visiting parties on a tour of the premises and an outline of the damage done during recent riots.

Though operations have since resumed, the mine has yet to return to full output. Following the site tour, the assemblage discussed the changes made on site after the devastating unrest and what steps could be made next to better mine conditions and return it to full capacity.

The visiting delegation met separately with representatives of the Construction and Building Materials Workers’ Union of TUC, who has been widely credited for bringing the dangerous situation to a peaceful resolution. They also sat down with Nana Kwame Amponsah, the Omanhene [traditional ruler] of Awaso, who was also instrumental in helping parties arrive at an amenable settlement.

Riots broke out at the mine at Awaso last month due to unhappiness by miners over the poor conditions and low pay. Workers burned a structure, destroyed equipment, and interrupted traffic through the neighboring village, leading to a temporary shut-down of the mine and termination of all rioting employees. The parties ultimately came to an agreement that led to the return of workers to the mine, while local police say they identified and apprehended those workers who participated in violent acts.