Compagnie des Bauxites de Guinée Joins ASI

Compagnie des Bauxites de Guinée Joins ASI

Aluminium Stewardship Initiative welcomed Compagnie des Bauxites de Guinée to the fold of members this week, boosting the organization’s membership to 174.

CBG operates a bauxite mining project in Sangarédi in Guinea’s northwestern reaches. It currently ships about 16 million metric tons of high-grade bauxite ore to third-party buyers around the world.

The firm was founded in 1973 and is currently held by two organizations – Halco (Mining) Inc. with a 51 percent share, and the Guinean government, who holds the remaining 49 percent. To date the organization has contributed around US$5 billion to the Guinean economy and, since 2016, invested almost one billion US dollars in its own modernization and expansion of production capacity.

Souleymane Traoré, Compagnie des Bauxites de Guinée’s general manager, said in a press release that it is fully committed to environmental protection and resource stewardship.

“As reflected in its values and its vision, Compagnie des Bauxites de Guinée (CBG) places great emphasis on community issues, good governance and the protection of the environment. Therefore, supported by its shareholders, CBG is committed to the Aluminum Stewardship Initiative (ASI) Performance Standard certification process.”

“In addition to our ISO Standards and to the IFC Performance Standards, ASI certification would enable us to consolidate our practices and our commitment to sustainable development,” he concluded.

The ASI is a worldwide organization dedicated to setting industrial standards and certifications in the aluminium industry. The association attempts to bring together the various stakeholders in the aluminium industry in order to achieve objectives including sustainable production methods, material chain-of-custody procedures, recycling, social impacts related to aluminium production, and production standards.