Albras Power Failure Halts One Quarter Of Albras Aluminium Smelting Capacity

Albras Power Failure Halts One Quarter Of Albras Aluminium Smelting Capacity

Norwegian aluminium producer Norsk Hydro ASA says a power failure in Brazil over the weekend resulted in the shutdown of one of the four smelting lines at Albras aluminium smelter.

In a statement, Hydro said the internal power distribution failure occurred Saturday morning local time. As a result, the 110 thousand metric tons per annum liquid aluminium line ground to a halt. The remaining three aluminium smelting lines continue to run as usual, Hydro assured the market.

Hydro said it is too soon to make an assessment of the monetary damage the outage has caused. The firm is also unable to pin down a restart time at present, per the statement.

Located adjacent to Alunorte alumina refinery, Albras is owned 51 percent by Norsk Hydro, with Nippon Amazon Aluminium Co. Ltd. holding the other 49 percent.

Norsk Hydro, which was founded in 1905, financed by the Swedish Wallenberg family and French banks, began its life named Norsk hydro-elektrisk Kvælstofaktieselskab (literally, “Norwegian hydro-electric nitrogen limited”) by Sam Eyde. The Norwegian government owns approximately 40% of the company at the present time. Norsk Hydro is one of the largest aluminium companies in the world, with plants in Rjukan, Raufoss, Vennesla, Karmøy, Høyanger, Årdal, Sunndalsøra, and Holmestrand. Norsk also has several plants abroad, including in Germany